How to book
Please contact us to reserve your ride simply by giving us a call at 0344 800 8020. Our team is available to assist you from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
To ensure a seamless experience, we kindly ask that you submit your request at least three working days’ before you travel, and you’re welcome to book up to two weeks in advance!
While we do our best to undertake all journeys, requests are subject to transport being available. On some occasions, you may have to share your journey with another passenger.
Who can use our service?
Our service is available to adults who:
- Have specific health or social needs, but aren’t eligible for free transport
- Are unable use or access regular public transport
- Cannot access transportation from family or friends
- Require transport for essential shopping like food or medication pick-up
- Receive mobility allowance, including higher or enhanced rates, that can access the vehicle and destinations unaided
- Have experienced a heart attack, stroke, or uncontrolled seizures in the past three months; in this case, they will need to be accompanied by a companion
- Can get into and out of a vehicle unaided. (Unfortunately, we are unable to take people who travel in wheelchairs.)
- Are welcome to bring a caregiver or assistant for support at appointments or services
We do not operate journeys from West Norfolk PE postcodes.
Where can a driver take you?
- Health-related journeys to medical centres such as hospitals, doctors or health clinics
- Other medically-related appointments and preventative health care. For example, dentist, optician, physiotherapy, or occupational therapy
- Day care and respite care
- Essential shopping (food shop at supermarket)
- Social activities or activities to help with general wellbeing
We will give priority to journey requests within Norfolk. Journeys outside of Norfolk will be considered, for example to get to a hospital appointment.
Please note, at weekends we can only cater for essential medical journeys due to limited volunteer availability.
How much does it cost?
The journey costs 45p per mile (50p per mile if a passenger’s wife, husband, carer or chaperone travels with them). Please pay in cash directly to the driver on travel day; no other payment methods are accepted.
The charge includes the mileage the volunteer travels to and from your house. We always try to arrange the nearest driver to you so that we can keep charges to a minimum. If this is not possible then our staff will discuss this with you.
While we can’t provide upfront quotes, the driver will call and speak to you about costs and the pick-up time before the day of the journey.
For appointments, the driver can wait up to an hour (extra charges may apply). For longer appointments, the driver will leave and return, and there may be additional journey costs.
Call 0344 800 8020 to cancel a booking. Please give as much notice as possible.
There may be a charge for late cancellations if the driver has already left to collect you.
If you want to provide feedback on the service you’ve received or have a formal complaint, write to:
Passenger Transport Manager, Transport Plus, Norfolk County Council, County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich, NR1 2DH.